Accompanying the joys of summer is a variety of odors that start wafting through your home. Pets that smell from outdoor play, clothing with a distinct stench of sweat, and that once-appetizing aroma of barbecue that lingers for days. Eradicating smells in your house is a tough but achievable chore!
Smell something funky? Safety first!
If you’re not sure of the source of the smell, make sure that it’s not a safety issue. Some odors could indicate a severe hazard. If you smell any of these distinct smells, be sure to take proper action:
- Rotten eggs or sulfur could indicate a gas leak. If you suspect a gas leak, leave the area immediately and do not use any electrical switches of devices. For more information, visit Texas 811.
- Burning or fishy smell could be an electrical fire. Even if you do not see a flame, there could be one behind your ceiling or walls. Leave your home and call 911 immediately.
When it comes to the safety of the air quality in your home, you should also take precautions against carbon monoxide (CO). Carbon monoxide can arise from car engines or faulty furnaces. CO is odorless, but it is hazardous to your family. The best way to protect your loved ones from carbon monoxide is to install a CO monitor on each floor of your house.
Advent offers a high-quality carbon monoxide monitor that alerts you at levels as low as 5 PPM. Most store-bought detectors only warn you at 70 PPM or higher. Since long-term exposure at levels higher than 15 PPM can be dangerous, it’s better to be safe than sorry. Call us today to start protecting your family.
Temporary Solution: Masking Smells in your House
Probably the most common technique for dealing with unwanted odors is to conceal them with fragrances. While using candles, room sprays, or plug-in scents does camouflage some odors temporarily; there are several downsides to this approach.
First, some of your family members – including your pets – may be sensitive to strong perfumes. In fact, 1 in 10 people suffer from Multiple Chemical Sensitivities. For these people, intense scents can cause sneezing, itchy eyes, and tension headaches. That’s no way to spend your summer!
Second, these techniques are local only to a small area in your home. You’ll only be able to smell the fragrance within two or three feet of the device. To get the full effect of a fragrance, you need to place several air fresheners all-around your home. And if you use something temporary like a candle or room spray, the scent will only last a short while. Then you’re back to the foul smells.
And finally, chemical room scents are merely disguising the source smells rather than eliminating them. That means you’re adding chemicals to your air, which can be unhealthy for your family to breathe.
How to Permanently Eliminate Stinky Smells in your Entire House
The foul smells are created in your home when a substance releases molecules into the air. For instance, a sweaty dog or steaming food emits many odor-ridden air molecules into your home. The more easily something gives off molecules, the stronger the smell.
So, the only way to permanently eliminate stinky smells is to wipe out those smelly molecules directly. One way to treat all of the air in your entire home is to use a product in conjunction with your HVAC system. Luckily, there are effective products available that will wipe out odors in your home.
- BiPolar 2400 from Air Oasis – We love this product because it is made in Texas and can be used with any HVAC system. The BiPolar 2400 fights allergens and contaminants with unique bipolar ionization technology. After installation, it’s completely maintenance-free.
- Air Scrubber from Aerus – This product uses NASA technology to clean every air molecule in your home. The air scrubber produces negative ions that move through your home and eliminate contaminants in indoor air.
- Air Purifier – Air purifiers capture and remove contaminants that cause smells in your home. Although there are local air purifiers you can buy for individual rooms, we recommend air purifiers that install in your ductwork. That way, your whole house gets the benefit of cleaner air.
Ready to put a Stop to Smells in your House?
Advent Air Conditioning, Inc. provides a wide variety of indoor air quality products. No matter what stench you’re dealing with, we can help guide you to the right solution for both your peace of mind and your budget. Call us today to learn more about our air quality products and start breathing (and smelling!) cleaner air, sooner.